Tuesday 15 April 2014

A-Z Challenge: M is for Meeting

My wife and I like to say that we met at a funeral.

While not technically true (it was the second time we met. The first time we met was at a party), it makes for a better story.

The funeral was for a mutual friend, who I had briefly dated. My wife-to-be and I were both in full-on disgusting crying mode. Not so much because we were sad, though we were, but because we were so angry. Our friend had gone to a Catholic school, where everyone had done their merry best to make his life hell. And then they all came to his funeral. And the priest made it painfully clear that he didn't know anything about the deceased.

Anyway. We were both sobbing our sorry eyes out and looking at one another and each thinking, "I really want her, but this isn't the time or place and I look horrendous!"

And then, blah blah blah, we got married.

(Because of The Princess Bride. The party I met her at was hosted by my best friend, who I'd met at fencing lessons, which I'd taken because of my obsession with TPB).

We have a tradition of celebrating the day we met (March 25th) with an s-themed food: salad, salsa, sushi, sammich, etc. This year we totally forgot until my phone reminded me. We were both exhausted so we just ordered in food from a place whose name starts with 'S' and watched Goosebumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment