Saturday 17 May 2014

Stranger Than Science Fiction

I have a very strange reading habit: I can't get enough of books like Momzillas by Jill Kargman or Notes From the Underbelly (or the sequel, Tales From The Crib) by Risa Green.

It's a total guilty pleasure. My wife thinks it's a little odd (so do I, honestly), but I've reread all three of those books at least once.

Here's why. All of those books are about extremely wealthy women who live in places like New York or L.A., and their experiences of motherhood.

All of those things are so foreign to me that these books are almost like reading science fiction. I've never had a lot of money, nor am I likely to. I'm not going to be a parent. I have no desire to live in a city any bigger than my current one (and honestly, even it's getting a little crowded for me). The problems the characters in these books have are less real to me than a lot of fantasy.

I actually don't read a lot of sci fi or fantasy. I have a few standby favourites in each genre--The Stainless Steel Rat series by Harry Harrison and Spirit Fox by Mickey Zucker Reichert and Jennifer Wingert being a few examples. I do read quite a bit of urban fantasy, though.

(I tried Girls In Trucks, hoping it would be similar. The book wasn't bad, but it also wasn't quite what I was looking for. If anyone has suggestions for more of those kind of books, I'd love to hear them).

No comments:

Post a Comment