Monday 18 August 2014

My Zombie Boyfriend

Hi internet!

I'd like to introduce you to My Zombie Boyfriend.

My Zombie Boyfriend, internet. 

It's about cats and zombies (and a zombie cat!) I know you're into those things, so naturally, I thought of you! I'll leave you two alone to get to know each other.

Read a teaser here.

                                                                           ---



So, I've been sitting on this HUGE piece of news since the 7th and I couldn't wait to tell you guys, but I wanted to wait until it was finalized. And as of today--I just signed the contract for my first full-length novel, and it's going to be released as a paperback!

I do mean this is my first novel--I've written longer pieces, but all of them were fanfiction (or about historical people, not original characters, and I don't want to talk about that XD).



I don't want to give away too much this early in the game, but I can tell you that it's M/M (of course).

The story is told by Edward, a medical student/necromancer who finds a body in a park and brings it home...and back to life.

This story has been in my life for years, almost as long as I've known my wife, and I'm thrilled that I can finally share it with the world. It was originally supposed to be a webcomic that I wrote and my wife illustrated, but it never got past the first few pages. We also roleplayed it, and we've spent a lot of time exploring this world. I had a lot of material and ideas to draw upon. (I'd like to note that I offered my wife co-author status and she refused).

December of 2012, the story wanted out. I wrote most of it longhand, and the words just kept coming and coming until I had a novel.

I heard about the ABNA awards, and decided to enter MZB (I call it MZB. You can, too), mostly to give myself some sort of deadline.

Amazingly, even though the novel was very fresh and hardly edited, the concept got it past the first round. It didn't make it through the second, but it really wasn't ready.

I waited and got busy with other projects, giving it the time and space it needed, until it was ready to be edited. I knew I wanted it to be a paperback, but while it had been percolating, Torquere had raised their minimum word count from 50,000 to 60,000 words...so I had to add a few scenes, and beef others up a little. I ended up adding a character who was new to the novel, but not to the MZB universe, and I'm glad I did. I've gotten positive feedback about him already.

I would like to give a huge thank you to Jordan White for being my beta reader and her lovely and entertaining comments. Please check out her blog.

I would also like to thank my lovely editor, Elizabeth Brooks, for reading the first chapter and demanding more!

                                                                             ---

Look for My Zombie Boyfriend from Torquere Press.

I've already started collecting giveaway items for the release day party and I'm so excited to share them with you!

I don't have a release date yet, but updates will be posted here, so stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment